Monday, November 09, 2009

Tiny Tempest Warta

The temper tantrums started this week.

Now, I'm not going to claim a hurricane when it was only a drizzle - but for happy go lucky Sam to pitch a fit about anything - it took me by surprise.

The best (and suckiest) part about being Sam's mom is when I lament to a friend or family member about Sam's recent entry into the world of tantrums, they just roll their eyes at me, or show mock sympathy as if I am lying. Attempting that Munchhausen syndrome thing on my child - only with tantrums instead of terminal illness.

So with his sweet smiles and model child behavior in public, Sam still has the world wrapped around his little finger. But this week, he has me wrapped up in the fetal position in bed during his nap times because I am so stinking tired.

One thing I will say about Sam's new willful nature - it is blissfully short lived. He's a visual child, meaning that any bad mood can be cured in 3 seconds with a song or a picture book. So I guess I shouldn't complain. I've yet to get a disdainful look from a stranger in the middle of the grocery store, and that should count for something, right?

The other thing I've learned this week is the beauty of preparedness. Frank and I have a casual parenting mantra of "never let them win", and I'm super glad that was established. We never butt heads with discipline or rules - and while I know we most definitely will someday, and quite possibly soon, I am blessed to be married to someone who agrees with the mentality that children need structure, honesty, and love.

I've also learned to appreciate my faith in a whole new way. I can type till I'm blue in the face about how Christianity has more historical backing than any other religion, and how it isn't even really ABOUT religion as much as it is a personal relationship with Christ...but it all becomes proven and real when my child starts to kick me and scream when he is taken away from the sticker chest at physical therapy, and when I pray with him, he is instantly soothed.

You can't explain to a 15 month old why he can't play with or have ALL of the stickers in the treasure chest, and you also cannot explain to him about God and His love. But for some reason, prayer still works, and prayer still yields a response.

It's okay buddy, I don't understand the comfort and healing love he brings either. Sometimes I throw temper tantrums when I don't get what exactly what I want in this world too. But I am sure glad He is there for us both.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.