Friday, November 20, 2009

Oh, For Pete's Sake!

When I was little, my Italian grandmother would yell this in my general direction whenever I did something ridiculous and irrational. Usually it would be the result of a tantrum over something I didn’t want to be involved in (cleaning, eating a certain food, etc.) or if I did something so absurd that there were no other words and they had better go grab a camera.

I never really thought about where this phrase came from, until several months ago when I became an avid fan of Peter in the Bible. While there are great kings and prophets throughout the old and new testaments – plenty of people to truly be admired – there is one thing that really draws me to Peter.

He was so totally forgiven at the peak of not deserving it.

Peter was a fisherman who couldn’t keep his mouth shut. I hate fishing, but I sure do understand the whole dilemma of words coming out faster than my brain can catch. Peter spoke his mind, and yet at the same time, worried a lot about what people thought about him. I think his life resounds heavily with my outlook on the world, as it probably does with many girls just trying to figure out who they are, what they want – and who their friends were.

Peter knew 100% that his number one compadre was Jesus. They hung out, probably had endless inside jokes, and Peter was definitely part of the Savior’s inner circle. He had a luxury that Christians today don’t have – he got to physically hug Jesus, hear the actual physical sound of Christ’s voice, and see one of history’s greatest and most controversial individuals live the most poignant part of His life.

And yet, out of great fear, he went on to deny he knew Jesus three times before he was crucified.

Oops.

If one of my best friends were about to be brutally murdered in front of a large, blood thirsty audience, I would hope I’d have the cajones to at least acknowledge their existence in their time of need. But again, fear of what people think, and what people have the power to do – it can be overwhelming.

So anyway, fast forward to the whole resurrection thing. Let me tell you that if one of my BFFs betrayed me and I went through all the trouble of coming back from the dead, then I would make it a point to let her know she is no longer on my team. I would be wounded with a girl hurt that, as any girl knows, outlasts any vindictive spirit known to humankind.

But what did the good old J.C. do? He makes a concerted effort pretty much right off the bat to tell Peter he loves him. And not only does he do that, but he makes it a PUBLIC DECLARATION. It wasn’t a disgruntled, “yeah I guess we’re cool,” reconciliation – it was in front of Peter’s friends and those who probably judged him pretty harshly and didn’t have very nice things to say about him at this point.
When Jesus died and the men who had given up the fishing trade to follow him decided to go fishing one evening to probably get their minds off of everything, I kind of doubt that Peter was openly invited. Things were probably a tad awkward.
But when Jesus came, he made it clear that Peter was still a standup guy.

How could this be? How could Peter have screwed up so badly and then have the Savior of the universe want to be by his side?

There is logic to forgiveness – to a point. But there is absolutely zero logic to the crucifixion and resurrection, which is what, makes it so spectacular.
Just as Peter denied Jesus three times, God asked Peter if he loved him three separate times at this special post-resurrection breakfast. According to the original Greek, some Bible scholars say that the language Peter chose to respond “yes” showed hesitation and reservation.

Peter felt shame. Peter felt as if he wasn’t good enough. Peter wanted to serve God so badly, but felt he had screwed up so deeply.

And yet Jesus chooses Peter to do great, tremendous things for the Early Church that still live on today.

Jesus’ love for Peter was a passionate love. An illogical, cross-inspired love that truly makes my head explode when I even think about it.

Peter didn’t DESERVE to be forgiven. And neither do we.

But we are. And that is so fantastic.

What do you think happens after you die? And what do you think about your life here on Earth? That first question is something that obviously involves a lot more prayer and discussion for some (if you want my not so hidden opinion, let me know!) but as for the latter….

You are loved. You are cherished. No matter what you’ve done or who has wronged you or who you have or continue to wrong – Jesus adores you and not only thinks you are good enough to be loved – He thinks you’re good enough to live a brilliant and blessed life.

Go read John 21 after you’ve read Mark 14. Go soak in God's crazy love.

0 comments: