Thursday, June 11, 2009

Why Do I Do It?

The ministry partner building continues.....wow, what a process AND what a blessing. This week I have just been so weary and tired. Our kids performing arts summer camp is starting on Monday, I'm facilitating five auxiliary dance classes every week, and then there is regular Turning Point rehearsals and the final preparations for our missions trip. 15 of us are leaving the country in 5 short weeks, and I'll be on that plane before I know it!

Someone from my leadership team emailed me the other day and said "I'm glad you do all that you do, and am grateful I get to help out from time to time and try to be you, and realize that I could never do what you do." That comment made me laugh, because really, is it absolutely crazy that I love what I do? Everyone always comments on what a jam-packed life I have, but I just love it. And as long as Sam is happy and healthy, and Frank keeps on keepin' on alongside me....well God, let's make this even bigger and better than it is.

I see so much potential in creative arts ministry. I am excited for those of you who are joining our support team so I can go more in-depth with our newsletters and meetings with you. But I feel so blessed that even when I am down in the dumps, in the depths of despair...I get to see miracles all of the time :)

I have a dancer right now who has overcome the challenges of verbal, physical and sexual abuse and she is just blossoming. Actually honestly, there is more than one or two of them. There is another who has learned to become ferociously committed to family, even when it is very difficult and cramps her style. A third has applied the idea of modesty in dress and humbleness of spirit to her life - and this has been an amazing transformation to watch. I am honored by the sacrifices that the dancers make to participate, and I am humbled even further by the outside instructors who come in and bless us with their time as well.

Our touring dates are so much fun, because we get to see creative arts ministry speak into the lives of strangers, which is such a different experience than what we see at home. I just got off the phone with the pastor's wife of the Sacramento Dream Center. They are going to be opening up their church parking lot to people coming for the 2nd Saturday Artwalk downtown, which always has HUGE parking problems. They want to have a coffee bar with entertainment and outreach, and it looks like Turning Point is going to get to participate.

The head of the low-income apartment complexes in the area also contact Pastor Scott recently and wants to coordinate Turning Point coming to teach classes on-site and possibly perform an outreach show too. There are so many opportunities to spread God's love this summer, I am so excited! I am almost bummed to be going to Trinidad because there is so much to do right here at home! (wait....did I just call Sacramento HOME? What has become of me! Remember you can take the girl out of the bay area, but you can't take the bay area out of the girl....)

Sometimes I think there is a small group of critics here or there that probably look down on us because we accept and embrace everyone, which doesn't always give us a flawless, high-calibar show. Because we are far from the "big time" and sometimes we can be awfully goofy and silly.....but I am so crazy proud to be a part of this group. There is something very spiritual and bonding about the whole "come just as you are" mentality that the Bible talks about.

This is a group of Christians that are truly practicing regenerative love, and I am looking forward to seeing that grow even further through continued Project 365 tasks, the kids summer camp, and the relief work we are going to be doing in Trinidad. We're going to be ministering through dance too, but as the trip draws closer, the service projects seem to become more and more meaningful in my mind.

I'd love to have all of my blog readers partner with us in ministry. It is simpler that you may think, and I KNOW you will be blessed because of it. Comment or email me for details if you feel even an inkling of interest. There's always room for another prayer supporter, monthly sponsor, and/or actual participant. <3

Our ministry is like a fun little chia plant lately - pour the refreshing water of God's promises on us, and watch us grow! :)

0 comments: