Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bright and Shiny, Artist Tiny

I could go on and on about how much I love everyone who participates in creative arts ministry. From those who have been insanely loyal and loving to Turning Point since its inception, to my Craigslist jewels who have come in and just made an amazing impact in unexpected ways, the teens and adults just continually brighten my life. But these past couple of weeks, I have just been continually blessed by the number of kids (37, to be exact!) God has brought to our performing arts summer camp.

The day camp is really casual, "come just as you are" style, and the kids learn dance, music, acting, creative writing and visual art. I've already told you all of this....so here are some pictures instead.

Jordan loves ballet, it is so awesome to see a little boy embracing dance. Jordan is not in this picture....his brother Jacob is on the left. He does not embrace dance, but we embrace him because he is so sweet and has energy that is just waiting to do good in the world someday.
Jennifer has the most amazing singing voice, and Julie is just the sweetest, most compassionate little thing. Jennifer is a child from the community who doesn't go to Harvest, and Julie's family just started attending. Bronte has been our kids program for awhile. She played Snow White last spring in "Snow White....Reimagined" Her whole family is artistically gifted, and as a bonus, she is a die hard Sam fan. :)
The kids all take one dance class a day, with some days offering an option of up to three. I have no idea what Zach is doing in this photo, so let's just pretend it is choreographed that way.
These are the "littles", who are 5.5-8 years old. There are a lot of them! In this picture they are doing their vocal warm ups. Michael = Energy, energy, energy! He loves to be challenged and work independently. He made a robot out of cardboard boxes today and asked if we could hoist it up the cross that is in front of the church. The robot itself was actually quite impressive. I told him I'd get back to him on that cross idea;)Miss Amber with some of the "littles." Almost all of the kids get way into her class and are twirling around all day. Elliot likes to sleep on the floor. The "bigs" (9-11 yr olds) practicing at the barre.
McKenna started at Turning Point when she 4 or 5 yrs old. She is such a big girl now!
Frank has to work all weekend, and so Sam and I are heading to the bay area so I can network with some churches there and spend time with friends and family. I am looking forward to taking him for a walk at the park I played at when I was little, eating some Stan's Donuts (yum!) and escaping the Sacramento heat.

It was a very rewarding yet LONG week, and I am looking forward to spending some extra time with my little boy <3

1 comments:

loosend said...

If you are here for the weekend networking, I think you should network with me! =^)