Monday, May 04, 2009


I've always wanted to visit the South, and now that I have gone, I've officially decided that I was meant to be a Southern Belle instead of a California....boring person? But anyway, outside of that, we had a fantastic time with Matt & Emily this weekend in Little Rock. I learned so much and it was great to get a weekend away to refresh and recharge after the performances.

It's probably not so important to note that United did everything within its power to keep us away from Arkansas. The story goes as follows:

*We get to the airport on Thursday afternoon

*Our plane leaves 2 hours late due to a "mechanical error"

*Despite the captain's valiant attempt at flying 120 knots over the legal speed, we still miss our Denver connection

*United gives us (and a bunch of other now plane-less people) vouchers for a hotel room and $30 for dinner - score!

*Oh but then it turns out the hotel voucher was for a non-existent hotel - it had changed ownership over a year ago and did not accept the vouchers.

*So BACK to customer service we went, where we got new vouchers for a hotel 23 miles away!

*We FINALLY got to the hotel at 9:30 at night, and had dinner.

Then I thought to myself, "Self, this is one of the few times you haven't had to worry about a baby for months, what shall you do?"

I decided on eating vanilla ice cream while taking a bubble bath, which I believe was a brilliant choice.

The next day, before we attempted again to get to Arkansas, Frank went to the check-in desk to make absolute sure our bag was still going to Little Rock. The woman assured us that it was scheduled to be on the first flight there, which happened to be our flight too. So.....woo hoo?

I wish! We landed in Little Rock, got great hugs from Em and the kids, and then low and behold our bag wasn't there. We went to the United desk, where there wasn't anyone there for 20 minutes and we finally gave up and walked away.

Frank, by some weird fluke, happened to find out bag at the DELTA office, even though they said they didn't carry bags for other airlines. Our bag had gone on a flight through Atlanta with Delta, and no one bothered to tell us.

Stupid United. Don't fly with them! They are meanies!

So we got to Arkansas, and I just love Little Rock. It is so cute, and almost all of the houses have brick (one of my dream house components :) ), and they have BANANA PUDDING PIZZA, which is my new favorite dessert. I ate it on Friday night, and I seriously have not been able to focus on anything since, it completely changed my life.

Fortunately, in reality I could focus a little, because Matt & Emily had some amazing training for us. We got to see the gorgeous Family Life campus, and then we got down to business. I feel 10,000 times more equipped and ready to meet the goals God has set before me. And I also feel much more in sync with Frank when it comes to those goals, and over all it was just a totally blessed weekend where I learned a LOT, and really got some time to reconnect with the Lord in little, special ways.

Now......I pray for the funds and the people. And a great meeting with Scott on Wednesday. I know the Lord will provide, just like He always does.

I am so glad we reconnected with Emily. She was Frank's friend in high school, then I stole her ;) Then we lost touch and I never stopped thinking about her and wondering what she was up to. Right when I gave up, she found me on myspace, and now I hope we never lose track of each other again! They have a FANTASTIC ministry in Little Rock, and if you are looking to support a wonderful couple dedicating their lives to helping preserve marriage and family, Em's blog is here.


Central High School, site of desegregation during the civil rights movement:

Paying homage to the Larry's Pizza Buffet (aka home of my beloved banana pudding pizza:Matt & Emily's cute kids puddle splashing by the Farmer's Market in Little Rock:



My favorite cute southern children :) :


We love Matt & Emily:
This one's for my dad, haha. :




Sam stayed behind in California. He'll have to wait till Hawaii for his first plane trip. He is doing great, though:
Photobucket

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad you had a good time and learned a lot! The south is great! Is that Emily that graduated with Jane-Holly? Anway, I wish I had gotten to see you guys, but I am glad you had a good trip!

Emily said...

Yes, it is the Emily that graduated with Jane-Holly! Ha ha! We had a great time with y'all, and hope you come back again soon. God will provide all your needs! I'm excited to be part of your journey.

Amy Carroll said...

You love the south, eat ice cream in the bathtub and are obsessed with banana pudding pizza? We are meant to be friends! Loved reading your post!! Come visit NC some day--I'm not sure about banana pudding pizza, but we'll find something equally decadent for you I promise.

Amy