Thursday, May 07, 2009

Diverging Perspectives

I have all but run out of ideas on how to keep Sam amused during the day. Now that he can sit up, it's a lot easier, but we still have the preemie conundrum - jumparoos and other amusements that other 9 month (really 7 month old) babies enjoy are either forbidden or not within his ability yet.

So mom gets antsy/creative in the afternoons.

Today I stole a really easy idea after googling "what to do with a 9 month old" (ah, the modern mom)- fill a baby bottle with rice and you have an instant noise maker. I filled a big bottle for me and a little one for Sam, and I went to work forming our afternoon rock band.


Problem one - it's a bottle, right? So Sam tried to make it an afternoon snack.




Then I took the bottle away, and tried to rationalize him that it was a TOY not food, and that he should SHAKE not chew. This is the face I got.





Then I gave up, and shook mine, which was apparently the funniest thing in the world. He laughed and laughed, look at mommy the idiot singing and dancing around with a plastic bottle of rice. He loved it.

In the end, he gave his rice bottle a half hearted shake, as if to appease my efforts. But he got such a kick out of watching me do it and banging it with his hands. I suppose that's what life is all about - finding something to smile about and harvesting joy out of everything you can - even if it doesn't stick within your original plans and what you hoped for.







1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it