Saturday, July 11, 2009

Raindrops in July

A few minutes ago I was in our bedroom and heard the delicate sound of raindrops tickling our roof. The rain is so gentle and subtle - the kind that makes you look around and almost say out loud, "Wait, is that RAIN?!" This is especially true in the middle of July, in Sacramento, where rain sort of holds the same probability of a dinosaur sauntering past the kitchen window and waving hello.

The funny thing is, I had just been thinking this morning about how nice it would be if it would just rain a little. Last time, when I full out prayed for rain, we got a flippin' thunderstorm, but today was just a slight longing - a passing thought - and when the sky swelled above us as we were driving to the store, I just laid back and thought to myself, "Sweet! Thanks God!"

How many times does God deliver on a thought, prayer or desire we have, even those that are so fleeting that we don't even really realize right away what has been responded to? There are probably a katrillion times per day that God answers prayers that I don't even realize because my life is too busy, my brain is too full, my heart is too untrusting. Just like my body is balanced for certain jumps and turns, and my mind is conditioned to keep track of my overbooked days....I really need to start training my entire being to be open to God's blessings, and remember to slow down and practice gratefulness.

So, next time it rains, maybe I will close my cell phone BEFORE wiping away that water drop from my face. Maybe it will be a reminder to me to put things in front of my face that really will guide me toward the path I'm supposed to be taking (interpretation: bible twice a day?) I think I'm already on that good path and have a confirmed one way ticket - but sometimes I tend to derail a bit and that has just got to stop. I know it's a process, and a long one at that. But oh, am I ever excited for the destination.


Hold me down - all the world's asleep
I need you now - you've knocked me off my feet...
...I've tried praying - and I know just what you're saying to me...
...Let me be the one that shines with you....

0 comments: