Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I've come to a rather obvious conclusion this week - being a contagious Christian does not happen when you TELL people about Christ, but rather when you SHOW them. One thing that my father always says that simultaneously frustrates and encourages me is, "Well Tam, I sure don't like Christians, but I do like YOUR brand of Christianity."

And every time he says it, I respond with a forced front of joy, "Dad, it isn't a brand of Christianity. It is a relationship with Jesus. You should have one too!"

But he doesn't. He's witnessed too many televangelists, he's lived through Jimmy Swaggart (sp?), the guy who was married to Tammy Faye....all of these big gun loons who I have never really heard of, but are mentioned to me over and over as examples of exactly why he will never be a Christian. In case you are curious, other examples as to why include a grab bag of "I don't believe in Hell," "I don't need anyone to SAVE me", "I don't believe the earth is only 10,000 years old" (um dad, FYI that we don't believe that either), and that "there cannot be a single path to God."

And in a way, he's right. There are many ways - there is a path toward Him in worship of song and dance. There is a path toward Him in quiet reflection and reading. There is a path toward him in both silent and fervent prayers. There is a path toward Him in boundless hope.

But he won't listen, and sometimes when I am in the bay area with my family I find my hope tapering off as I slouch down into the cheap furniture and get a serious case of Elijah syndrome.

And then I always go back to his original comment of how he likes "my brand" of Christianity, and I remember that something has caught his eye. I am showing, not telling - and that is the one thing that he is remembering about "my brand." He is seeing love and strong fellowship/relationship....and, well....he is seeing a lot of dance performances too, but he seems to be dealing okay additionally with that part.

Why haven't I been showing more than telling lately? Have I already fallen so comfortably into the cushy world of working in a church office, where everyone is praising Jesus in the cubicles and existing cheerfully within the bubble? I am really such a cowardice that I am just fine to be stagnant where I am?

Nothing is stopping me from just living out my years just like this. I have a home, a family, great friends and a job. What more do I need?

The answer?

So.
Much.
More.

God, seriously, use my lazy butt. Take me into situations where I get to show instead of tell - where I am uncomfortable at first, but then see victories in the end.

Tomorrow is just another Thursday - working at the church, coordinating dance ministry details, and getting chinese food for lunch because I am broke and have a gift card.

So, can God work a miracle, set a bush on fire or send a lightning bolt to Panda Express? Or at least talk to me in a way that I can hear?

Stay tuned. I think He might.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are right, Tam. Show it. I've been working for 10 years on showing the love of Christ to my birthmom, who 8 years ago forbade me to ever speak of "religion" to her again. Now she is on the verge of coming to Jesus. Don't give up. Keep praying, and keep showing your family what it means to have a relationship with God.

Anonymous said...

Love it... it's so right. This is the second time I've heard this same topic today. And last week when my skeptical dad said that he doesn't understand how Kanye West can sing about God and Jesus but then do what he did at the VMA's, it really made me think about how our BEHAVIOR is WAY more important then our VOICE when proclaiming our faith. Actions speak WAY louder than words. Glad to know I have at least one God focused and faith filled person around me. :-)