Saturday, August 15, 2009

Little Camper Stars

Last night was the kids performing arts camp recital. So let's be completely honest with each other - I was thoroughly convinced that it was going to be a tiny talentless train wreck thanks to two little boys who have gone out of their way to make summer feel like going through a meat grinder 12 hours a week. They constantly tried to look up the little girls' dresses, had a marker fight that destroyed one of the walls in the creative arts room, doused the entire bathroom with water (twice) and then, as a grand finale, finally turned on each other with trouble maker # 1 stabbing trouble maker # 2 in the neck with a ball point pen.

However, all that aside, the recital went fantastic! The kids really pulled it off, and even though aforementioned mean boys laughed and rolled their eyes throughout the production and got in a fist fight back stage....the other 34 children are my summer jewels and I am so proud of them.

After the show I asked Alisha to introduce herself to the audience because she is going to be directing the kids' portion of creative arts in the fall. She charmed their patooties off, she was so smooth and "together" and I am so so excited for her to be taking over the kids' section.

So Trinidad - check! Kids showcase - check! All we have left is Artbeat, and then I get to basically sloth my way through September when it comes to dance ministry. I got a little sampling of that today - Sam slept late, and then we went swimming at the new aquatics center. They have three huge pools there, including a baby pool that I am pretty sure resembles what Sam considers to be Heaven. It has spots shallow enough for him to crawl around and splash, portions deep enough that mommy can spin and glide him around, and a big play structure in the middle that sprays out water from all directions. This kid likes to get splashed, and so it was a good afternoon for him.

One thing I've learned about Sam is that there's a strong possibility he'll become a friend that is just brimming with encouragement and support toward others. He is so cute how he just watches big kids play right now, and when they run around laughing, he laughs with them and claps his hands. At 13 months old, he seems to grasp how to be genuinely happy for others, even when he's too little to join in the fun, and that just warms my mommy heart.

He got x-rays on Thursday. His leg is undoubtedly janked from being broken at birth. The older he gets, the more obvious it is....but again we will focus on what a happy, sweet, totally low-drama boy he is and not write about it anymore for now.

Jet Blue is having a deal right now that you can pay a flat rate of $600 and fly as often as you want, wherever you want, for up to a month. Needless to say I am already itching to get back to going somewhere, even though I've only been home a little over a week -- oh well!

I am going to satisfy my travel bug with a trip to the bay area soon - my birthday present to myself will be watching cable TV, going out with friends, and letting my mom take care of Sam ;) And oh yes, forgetting all about the Sacramento HEAT! Fall...you cannot come quickly enough <3

2 comments:

Emily said...

Pictres of Sam in the water are absolutely necessary!

Emily said...

Pictures