Sunday, January 31, 2010

Much Is Expected

There is a passage in the book of Luke (12:48) that scares the bejeezers out of me. It's not anything about hellfire or unimaginable plagues, but is simply this:

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

The reason it worries me is because knowing it's true, I am in a heap of trouble when it comes to my level of responsibility, because it feels as if I've been given the world.

The sun shone through our bedroom curtains this afternoon, and it seems maybe my favorite season may come early this year. We've had nine days of rain, and to so to see sunshine and a tree full of little black birds chirping and chattering away by our window was a welcomed sight. Winter is so long, and spring is so short - that it feels as if you close your eyes, you may just miss it altogether.

God has blessed me lately with a perfect peace. It isn't about having a perfect life - Cinderella Reimagined rehearsals continue to be precarious, my best friend's mom is extremely ill with cancer, and my family roots continue to be chaos, but then God counters our fears and hurts....

"I can't believe she feels/acts that way" = "When God approves of your life, even your enemies will end up shaking your hand" (Prov 16:7)

"Cancer sucks" = "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." (Phil 4:7)

"Family chaos makes me cry" = "At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep, for you, God, have put my life back together. " (Psalm 4:8)

I looked around at rehearsal today, with dancers all around me, and was completely dumbstruck. The simple, little idea God gave me has continually been something that people WANT to come and be a part of. No one is required to join Turning Point, and yet so many have, and the group is on the brink of becoming a part of something much, much larger. I was just figuratively smacked down to my knees in humbleness in what God has done. It's been remarkable to see. I have so many stories to tell.

I am so excited for the Turning Point restructure, and the merge with Royal Stage when I have time to create and establish that - it's going to be full of God's glory, and I've been praying for Him to continually humble me, give me an anguished heart for people who are hurting and could benefit either from the message of a strong group or participating in one. The only complaint Turning Point may encounter in the next 6 months to 2 years is that it is "too Christian" - in the sense that we'll be even more sold out for Jesus than ever before, and loving and accepting others more than ever before.

And I think I am willing to live with that criticism.

But beyond all that, there is so much to be grateful for. A perfect culmination of how God's brought peace into my life in a way that makes it feel as if I am safe, blessed, and have been given the world. All of a sudden there was some sort of breakthrough I can't really describe, other to say that God surely does meet with those who seek Him. All fear, hesitation and sadness is gone when it comes to life.

There is only messy, yet beautiful work to complete for His kingdom. Life is so short - keep your eyes open, or you may miss it.

0 comments: