Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How Sam Went Nuts, and Other Stories....

Wednesday is my favorite day of the week. Especially this time of year, when I can see red balloons and heart shaped boxes of candy in the store windows as I drive in the NO LONGER FLIPPING FREEZING weather to the church. I (usually) love my weekly meeting with Pastor Scott, always get to have lunch with one of my favorite friends, and best of all I get the chance to recenter, refocus, and catch up on my life.

However - when you have a small child, never make plans.

Right after lunch at our favorite Mongolian BBQ dive with absolutely dreadful customer service, Nichole and I were in the car when the sweet woman who watches Sam for me on Wednesdays called in a panic. She said she had given Sam lunch, and now he was breaking out in a horrible rash and was struggling to breathe and would I please come right away?

Not what a mommy wants to hear in the middle of her lovely Wednesday, and sure enough, when I picked him up, he was wheezing, coughing and sobbing - covered from head to toe in hives. We rushed him to the hospital, and in transition I got a list from freaked out babysitter as to what he had eaten that day.

Drum roll please......peanut butter! Oh, how proud and horrified I was - just like his mother, he is officially doomed to a life devoid of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and any food "processed in a factory that may contain nuts."
(aka EV-ER-Y-THING!!!!!)

So for those of you who wonder what happens with a new found peanut allergy, I present the following visual:

Playing with the defibrillator:


Sad Sam with his impressively nasty rash:


Then Nichole surrendered her Blackberry, and suddenly life was okay again:




One injection, two oral meds, and three prescriptions later - we left the ER. They even hooked him up to a monitor for awhile, just like the good ol' times in the NICU.

Poor Frank. He was so hoping for a buddy to eat Peanut Butter Captain Crunch with.

In other news, we had a GREAT rehearsal last night, and managed to get a picture with most of our cast. There are about 5 missing from this shot, so um, yes please pray for me. :)



What a roomful of jewels though - they are just so amazing, there aren't words. Well there are....COME SEE OUR SHOW IN APRIL!

My second favorite holiday is on Sunday, and I made some treats for my fellow church staffers and our marriage group. I am pretty dang proud of them.

Rice krispy treats, pink & red M&Ms, Devil's food cupcakes, and happy heart cookies:)

All boxed and ready to go!


2 comments:

Bekie said...

How scary! I am so glad that Sam is ok. Poor little guy. Was this the first time he had eaten peanut butter?

Emily said...

Yikes! Those are some serious hives. From a fellow nut allergy person, all I can say is, I'm so sorry. But at least you already know how to deal with it, right?